Place: Peloponnese, Greece
Total area: 466 m2
Built area: 115 m
The site is located in Ano Psari, a mountainous settlement which was until very recently deserted.
Settlement in Ano Psari begins in about 1630 and the inhabitants move in the late 19th century into a lower height settlement, closer to the land parcels used for agriculture (Kato Psari).
This results in the current image of the village, being an assemblage of deserted roofless premises made of stone, of small total area and of a specific typology (5x10m).
Existing stone construction
– Preservation and restoration of the stone shell leaving parts of it at their current state in terms of morphology, to set the boundary of the residence’s outdoor space (veranda).
– Design of an adjacent building containing a courtyard facing the view. A plan typology that doubles the typologies of the deserted shells of the settlement is assigned to the addition.
– Interior and exterior spaces at different levels following the inclination of the ground, with respect to the landscape and the site’s geomorphology.
Interior - Exterior
Landscape - site's geomorphology integration
Transitioning between ‘rooms’
Interior and exterior space is organized in different levels which follow the natural ground inclination.
The transition between rooms, a typical characteristic of the interior organization of the local residences is a succession of ascending spaces, leaving the interior levels of the residence accessible through movement and gaze
The two main courtyards are enclosed by the existing and newly restorated stone shells and are located in levels which are above the ground level (+1.00) and create a feeling of elevation in relation to the mountainous landscape which lies ahead.
Traditional and modern materials are used in each spatial unit, with emphasis in the design principle – creation of a whole consisting of distinctive parts -the ‘rooms’.